Holy crap. Smallbox Web Design liked my idea for Bee Public so much, they gave me a $1000 Nice Grant to get it up and running. THANK YOU.
How far will that get me? Pretty far. Here’s a list of what I’m going to need to get started:
- Hive setup (one hive includes: bottom board, 2 deep supers, 20 deep frames, 2 honey supers, 20 honey frames, queen excluder, inner cover, outer cover, entrance reducer + feeder): $200 each
- Package of bees: $75 each
- Clothing + tools (veil, gloves, smoker, hive tools, bee brush):$125
- Medications and feed: $35
- Bee school: ranges from $30-$150
- Bee books: $30
- Honey extraction: $15
Total first year with two hives: around $900
Not to mention, I’m going to connect with as many beekeepers, advocates, and enthusiasts around the state as I can. I’ve got lessons to learn, stories to hear, and more nice people to meet.